"Intersection was founded at the start of the decade (century, millenium..!) to look at how we move, and what moves us.
We share a passion for vehicles that express a personality with originality and style, offer a useful function that contributes to our experience of mobility, and bring innovative solutions that mitigate the potentially negative impact our travels have on us and the world.
We're excited by Local Motors - it's not only a great concept, but the first car to be built ticks all our boxes. So we got together to come up with a car to celebrate Intersection's 10th birthday in 2011. If we like your design, there's a chance we'll build it, shoot it and show it off on our 'road show' next year.
The brief takes us back to the elements of mobility, a theme we explored recently with Philippe Starck who designed a soapbox racer for our recent cover.
Whether you're on holiday in Ibiza hopping between techno parties and secret beaches, yachting around the Mediterranean with an automotive tender on board or exploring a volcanic island where cars are forbidden, we figure there's a kind of vehicle that you can't currently buy that would suit the purpose.
Call it a resort runabout.
You see them all over the world. Old jeeps, buggies and sand rails. Repurposed classic micro-oddities. Sun-bleached drop tops with that weathered, pastel-shaded.
Why not something new, built to purpose?
1) Fit 4 people
2) Open top with a simple canvas-type roof to screen out the sun
3) Storage for your wet beach clothes, cold drinks and secure place to stow your valuables whilst you go for a swim
4) Rugged enough to climb over rutted paths, and powerful enough to get up slopes and over rough terrain
5) Small enough to get down little alleys
6) An element of human power as backup/supplement alongside electric power - silent, zero emission and good for your health
7) Integrate with your iPod for GPS, music and navigation
9) Timeless, stylish, simple design
10) Easily customized to look how you'd like it to.
Think of a scooter, or a bicycle for 4, then cross it with the kind of elegant, comfy chairs they put in Parisian parks. Think of emerging from the ocean feeling sun on your skin, hot sand on your feet, and terry cloth wrapped around you. Think of being somewhere you can relax, be yourself, no need to ever honk, worry about parking wardens, never be late or in a rush, happy to be overtaken or be in the most basic car because you're confident and happy on holiday with your lover, friends, family, dog...
Send us your ideas, be practical, creative, and if we can build it in series for under $10,000 it'll happen.